Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Unplanned Hiatus

It's been 4 years. Apparently.

I mean, it would've been anyway, but this is silly. I didn't mean to neglect this blog for 4 years, or at all. But you know, life.

Cheap and Simple. That was this blog's original motivation, main thrust being food, shopping and recipes. And other simple, money-saving shares as they occurred to me.

For example, egg salad. I love egg salad. It's not expensive, even considering $5 a dozen for your neighbor's hen eggs, homegrown and humanely treated by humans. Raccoons are another story entirely. I like egg salad. Except, not mushy. Which means celery, but cut very finely so it doesn't intrude on the flatness of sandwichness. Little bit of onion, maybe, but certainly a dab of horseradish and plenty of mustard. I guess what I mean is Deviled Egg salad. This works for me in a way that Deviled Eggs do not, as I manage to break the whites, can't seem to cut a boiled egg in half evenly, and the filling always looks messy. Also: not a fan of relish in deviled eggs. Ergo, none in deviled egg salad either, but salt, pepper, paprika if you're not allergic. Enough mayo to make it stick together, unless you prefer ranch or goddess dressing, which I do. Mustard powder is fine, or yellow mustard. Save the spicy brown mustard for hot dogs, though the white wine mustard is nice and subtle.

Rye bread is good, because it has some body. Pumpernickle is better, if your family will eat it, which mine won't. Multi-grain bread, yes, and I'm partial Dave's Killer Bread when I can spend money on fawnceh-arse bread. White bread? Not so much. Mushy, (I hate mushy) unless toasted, but even so, it's one of those things I refer to as 'edible substance', 'nutritionally negligible' or 'consumptive amusement' rather than 'food.' I mean really, White Bread, what's your point? Vehicle for baloney and mayonnaise or Skippy and grape jam? (speaking of nutritionally negligible) or to add to our national diabetes problem?

There we go. Cheap sandwich, especially if you manage to get wheat bread at Aldi for $1 a loaf. Now I'll go look at this silly old thing awhile, see if I can revive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment